Today we’re joined by return guest and newly appointed Dean of the College of Engineering at The Ohio State University, Ayanna Howard.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
Our conversation with Dr. Howard focuses on her recently released book, Sex, Race, and Robots: How to Be Human in the Age of AI, which is an extension of her research on the relationships between humans and robots. We continue to explore this relationship through the themes of socialization introduced in the book, like associating genders to AI and robotic systems and the “self-fulfilling prophecy” that has become search engines.
We also discuss a recurring conversation in the community around AI being biased because of data versus models and data, and the choices and responsibilities that come with the ethical aspects of building AI systems. Finally, we discuss Dr. Howard’s new role at OSU, how it will affect her research, and what the future holds for the applied AI field.
Connect with Ayanna!
- Trust in Human-Robot/AI Interactions with Ayanna Howard
- An Exploration of Coded Bias with Shalini Kantayya, Deb Raji and Meredith Broussard
- Sex, Race, and Robots: How to Be Human in the Age of AI
- Check out our TWIML Presents: series page!
- Register for the TWIML Newsletter
- Check out the official TWIMLcon:AI Platform video packages here!
- Download our latest eBook, The Definitive Guide to AI Platforms!
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0