Today we’re joined by Burr Settles, Research Director at Duolingo.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
Most would acknowledge that one of the most effective ways to learn is one on one with a tutor, and Duolingo’s main goal is to replicate that at scale. In our conversation with Burr, we dig how the business model has changed over time, the properties that make a good tutor, and how those features translate to the AI tutor they’ve built. We also discuss the Duolingo English Test, and the challenges they’ve faced with maintaining the platform while adding languages and courses.
Connect with our Burr!
- Research at Duolingo
- Duolingo English Test
- Paper: Machine Learning–Driven Language Assessment
- Predictors of second language English lexical recognition further insights from a large database of second language lexical decision times
- Simultaneous Translation and Paraphrase for Language Education
- A Sleeping, Recovering Bandit Algorithm for Optimizing Recurring Notifications
- VentureBeat: How Duolingo uses AI in every part of its app
- Duolingo CEFR Checker
- Join us at TWIMLfest: A Virtual AI Festival!
- Check out our TWIML Presents: series page!
- Register for the TWIML Newsletter
- Check out the official TWIMLcon:AI Platform video packages here!
- Download our latest eBook, The Definitive Guide to AI Platforms!
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0