As we continue our NeurIPS 2020 series, we’re joined by friend-of-the-show Charles Isbell, Dean, John P. Imlay, Jr. Chair, and professor at the Georgia Tech College of Computing.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
This year Charles gave an Invited Talk at this year’s conference, You Can’t Escape Hyperparameters and Latent Variables: Machine Learning as a Software Engineering Enterprise. In our conversation, we explore the success of the Georgia Tech Online Masters program in CS, which now has over 11k students enrolled, and the importance of making the education accessible to as many people as possible. We spend quite a bit speaking about the impact machine learning is beginning to have on the world, and how we should move from thinking of ourselves as compiler hackers, and begin to see the possibilities and opportunities that have been ignored.
We also touch on the fallout from Timnit Gebru being “resignated” and the importance of having diverse voices and different perspectives “in the room,” and what the future holds for machine learning as a discipline.
Thanks to our Sponsor!
I’d like to send a huge thank you to our friends at Qualcomm Technologies for their continued support of the podcast, and their sponsorship of this NeurIPS series! Qualcomm AI Research is dedicated to advancing AI to make its core capabilities — perception, reasoning, and action — ubiquitous across devices. Their work makes it possible for billions of users around the world to have AI-enhanced experiences on devices powered by Qualcomm Technologies. To learn more about what Qualcomm Technologies is up to on the research front, visit twimlai.com/qualcomm.
Connect with Charles
- Video: You Can’t Escape Hyperparameters and Latent Variables: Machine Learning as a Software Engineering Enterprise
- Michael Littman
- Georgia Tech Online Master of Computer Science
- Check out our first interview with Charles – Interactive AI, Plus Improving ML Education with Charles Isbell – #4
- The Ethical Algorithm: The Science of Socially Aware Algorithm Design: Michael Kearns
- Check out our TWIML Presents: series page!
- Register for the TWIML Newsletter
- Check out the official TWIMLcon:AI Platform video packages here!
- Download our latest eBook, The Definitive Guide to AI Platforms!
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0