Today we continue our CVPR 2021 coverage joined by Claire Monteleoni, an associate professor at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
We cover quite a bit of ground in our conversation with Claire, including her journey down the path from environmental activist to one of the leading climate informatics researchers in the world. We explore her current research interests, and the available opportunities in applying machine learning to climate informatics, including the interesting position of doing ML from a data-rich environment.
Finally, we dig into the evolution of climate science-focused events and conferences, as well as the Keynote Claire gave at the EarthVision workshop at CVPR “Deep Unsupervised Learning for Climate Informatics,” which focused on semi- and unsupervised deep learning approaches to studying rare and extreme climate events.
Thanks to our Sponsor!
I’d like to send a huge thank you to our friends at Qualcomm Technologies for their continued support of the podcast, and their sponsorship of this series of podcasts from the CVPR conference! Qualcomm AI Research is dedicated to advancing AI to make its core capabilities — perception, reasoning, and action — ubiquitous across devices. Their work makes it possible for billions of users around the world to have AI-enhanced experiences on devices powered by Qualcomm Technologies. To learn more about what Qualcomm Technologies is up to on the research front, visit twimlai.com/qualcomm.
Connect with Claire!
- TWIMLfest 2020 – AI and the Fight Against Climate Change
- Visualizing Climate Impact with GANs w/ Sasha Luccioni – #413
- Deep Unsupervised Learning for Climate Informatics
- Domain Knowledge in Machine Learning Models for Sustainability with Stefano Ermon – #15
- Paper: Variational Autoencoder Anomaly-Detection of Avalanche Deposits in Satellite SAR Imagery
- Paper: ClimAlign: Unsupervised statistical downscaling of climate variables via normalizing flows
- Climate Informatics Events
- Journal: Environmental Data Science