UPDATED FOR 2019! TWiML x Fast.ai Practical Deep Learning for Coders Study Groups
February & March ’19: Deep Learning for Coders Part 1
On Saturday, February 2nd we’re launching our 3rd cohort of deep learning learners through the Fast.ai Practical Deep Learning for Coders Part 1 course. This study group will meet weekly on Saturdays at 9 am Pacific Time for seven weeks, each week covering a new lesson from the course. We love this course for its ability to have participants building world-class deep learning models right out of the gate, without getting bogged down in theory. Topics covered in the course include:
- Image classification
- Production; SGD from scratch
- Multi-label; Segmentation
- NLP; Tabular data; Recsys
- Backprop; Neural net from scratch
- CNN deep dive; Ethics
- Resnet; U-net; GANs
Fast.ai’s Jeremy Howard has stated that those who take the course with a group are more likely to complete it, a fact to which our prior study group participants can attest.
March & April ’19: Deep Learning for Coders Part 2
On the heels of our Part 1 study group, we’ll be starting a study group for the Practical Deep Learning for Coders Part 2 course in late March, assuming Fast.ai opens this up for remote participation like last time.
To join either of these groups, and to receive updates, visit https://twimlai.com/meetup or if you’ve already joined click “Update your profile” at the bottom of any TWiML email you’ve received.
About the study groups
The goal of the study groups are to provide support and encouragement to course participants to help them overcome any rough patches, stick with it longer, and learn more. We use the following to do this:
- FastAI channel on the TWiML slack. We’ll be collaborating via the TWiML Online Meetup Slack group, which you’ll automatically be invited to when you join the meetup. When study groups are underway the conversation there can be quite lively. Once you’ve joined the Slack, introduce yourself on the #intros channel and join the #fast_ai_dl channel.
Weekly help sessions via Zoom. We meet weekly via video conference to discuss the week’s lesson, what we’ve learned so far, and any stumbling blocks. Participants are encouraged to join whether or not they have specific issues they need help with.
How to join
To recap, here’s how to join:
- Sign up for the TWiML Online Meetup, checking the appropriate study groups in the programs section.
- Use the email invitation you’ll receive to join our Slack group. If you don’t receive it within a few minutes, check your spam folder.
- Once you’re in Slack, join the #fast_ai channel and hop over to #intros as well and introduce yourself.