Today we are joined by Brian Burke, Analytics Specialist with the Stats & Information Group at ESPN.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
A former Navy pilot and lifelong football fan, Brian saw the correlation between fighter pilots and quarterbacks in the quick, pressure-filled decisions both roles have to make on a regular basis. Through trial and error, self-taught modeling techniques and the motivation to find answers, Brian crunched as much data as he could get his hands on. He shares his findings in the paper, “DeepQB: Deep Learning with Player Tracking to Quantify Quarterback Decision-Making & Performance”. With geometry, algebra and a self-proclaimed ‘vanilla’ neural network, Brian talks through the making of his model, what it means for football, and his excitement for the future of machine learning in sports.
From the Interview
- Paper: DeepQB: Deep Learning with Player Tracking to Quantify Quarterback Decision-Making & Performance
Check it out
- Register for TWIMLcon: AI Platforms now!
- Download our latest eBook, The Definitive Guide to AI Platforms!
- For more series like this one, visit the TWiML Presents: page!
- Join the Meetup
- Register for the TWiML Newsletter
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0