My guest this week is Brendan Frey, Professor of Engineering and Medicine at the University of Toronto and Co-Founder and CEO of the startup Deep Genomics. Brendan and I met at the Re-Work Deep Learning Summit in San Francisco last month, where he delivered a great presentation called “Reprogramming the Human Genome: Why AI is Needed.”
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
My interview with Brendan is focused on application of machine learning & AI to healthcare. In particular, we dig into how Brendan’s research lab and company are applying machine learning and deep learning techniques to treating and preventing human genetic disorders. We dig into a fair amount of technical detail, both biological and ML/AI, and I learned a ton. I think you’ll enjoy this one!
We’ve partnered with the good folks at O’Reilly to bring you another opportunity to win a free ticket to Strata+Hadoop World in San Jose, California. Join TWIML&AI and thousands of innovators, leaders, and practitioners at Strata Hadoop World to develop new skills, share best practices, and discover how tools and technologies are evolving to meet new challenges. One lucky listener will win a pass, but everyone can save 20% on most passes by registering with discount code PCTWIML.
To enter, visit our brand new Facebook page at facebook.com/twimlai, where you’ll find full details. Since the conference is coming up quickly, you’ll only have until march 3rd to enter. The winner will be notified shortly thereafter and announced on March 10th!
About Brendan Frey
- Brendan Frey on LinkedIn
- Brendan Frey on Twitter
- Brendan’s Lab at the University of Toronto on Twitter
- Brendan’s Profile at the U of T
Mentioned in the Interview
- Brendan’s Presentation at the Re-Work Deep Learning Summit
- Machine Learning in Genomic Medicine: A Review of Computational Problems and Data Sets (IEEE)[pdf]
- Predicting the Sequence Specificities of DNA- and RNA-Binding Proteins by Deep Learning (Nature)
- DeepBind Source Code and Sample Data
- Octavia Butler’s Xenogenesis Trilogy
Events on my Radar
- AI by the Bay, March 6-8
- Google Cloud Next, March 8-10
- Strata + Hadoop World San Jose, March 13-16
- RE•WORK Machine Intelligence and Autonomous Vehicle Summits, March 23-24
If you’re attending any of these events or would like to meet up, please reach out to me!