My guest this time is Charles Isbell, Jr., Professor and Senior Associate Dean in the College of Computing at Georgia Institute of Technology.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
Charles and I go back a bit… in fact he’s the first AI researcher I ever met. His research focus is what he calls “interactive artificial intelligence,” a discipline of AI focused specifically on the interactions between AIs and humans. We spend a good chunk of time in our interview exploring what this means and some of the interesting research results in this field. One part of this discussion I found particularly interesting was the intersection between his AI research and the related fields of marketing and behavioral economics.
Beyond his research, Charles is well known in the ML and AI worlds for his popular Machine Learning course sequence on Udacity, which he teaches with Brown University professor Michael Littman, and for the Online Master’s of Science in Computer Science program that he helped launch at Georgia Tech. We also spend quite a bit of time talking about what’s really missing in machine learning education and how to make it more accessible.
O’Reilly Conference Giveaway
As you know I partnered with the O’Reilly Artificial Intelligence Conference, to give away a free ticket to the event, which will be held September 26 – 27, 2016 in New York City. What you didn’t know is that O’Reilly was kind enough to offer up a second ticket to their Strata+Hadoop World conference as well!
I’ve randomly chosen and notified 2 winners and 2 runners-up. It’s looking like at least one of the runners-up will get lucky!
If you didn’t win and you’d like to attend the conference, register to the event of your choice using the code PCTWIML for 20% off!
About Charles Isbell, Jr.
- Charles Isbell on LinkedIn
- Charles Isbell on Twitter
- Charles on Google+
- Laboratory for Interactive Artificial Intelligence at Georgia Tech
Mentioned in the Interview
- MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory | MIT CSAIL
- Machine Learning Course On Supervised Learning – Udacity
- OMSCS – Online Master’s Degree in CS | Georgia Institute of Technology
- Charles Isbell’s Research Publications
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition: Robert B. Cialdini
- [1608.03824] Perceptual Reward Functions
- Sutton & Barto Book: Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction
- The Media Equation: How People Treat Computers, Television, and New Media Like Real People and Places: Byron Reeves, Clifford Nass