In this episode, University of Edinburgh Phd student George Papamakarios and I discuss his paper “Masked Autoregressive Flow for Density Estimation.”
Subscribe: iTunes / SoundCloud / Google Play / Stitcher / RSS
George walks us through the idea of Masked Autoregressive Flow, which uses neural networks to produce estimates of probability densities from a set of input examples. We discuss some of the related work that’s laid the groundwork for his research, including Inverse Autoregressive Flow, Real NVP and Masked Auto-encoders. We also look at the properties of probability density networks and discuss some of the challenges associated with this effort.
Happy Birthday 2018!!
A few weeks ago, at the TWiML AI Summit, I spoke with a listener who shared some interesting ways that his business, a world-leading energy company, has directly benefited from what he’s learned on the podcast. It’s been incredibly exciting to hear stories like this from listeners. To celebrate our second anniversary, We’d really like to hear from you about ways that the podcast has helped you at work or in school or transitioning between the two, how it’s helped you find or connect to resources you’ve found valuable, or educated you about something new.
You can submit your written comments to twimlai.com/2av, or call us at (636) 735-3658, and leave a voicemail (leave us your name/email, we’ll edit it out!) with your story!
Interested in the Fast.AI Deep Learning course?
Starting this Friday, I’ll be working through the Fast AI Practical Deep Learning for Coders course and in turn I’m organizing a study and support group via the Meetup. This is a great course and Fast.ai co-founder Jeremy Howard encouraged our group on twitter noting that groups that take the course together have a higher success rate, so let’s do this!
Three simple steps to join:
1. Sign up for the Meetup, noting fast.ai in the “What you hope to learn” box
2. Using the email invitation you’ll receive to join our Slack group, and
3. Once you’re there joining the #fast_ai channel.
Mentioned in the Interview
- Masked autoregressive flow for density estimates
- Masked autoregressive flow for density estimates – Code
- Masked autoregressive flow for density estimates – NIPS Video
- Improving Variational Inference with Inverse Autoregressive Flow
- Density estimation using Real NVP
- MADE: Masked Autoencoder for Distribution Estimation
- TrainAI 2018 Series Page
- Join us in celebrating our 2nd Birthday!
- TWiML Presents: Series page
- TWiML Events Page
- TWiML Meetup
- TWiML Newsletter
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0