Today we continue our AI Innovation series joined by Microsoft’s Chief Scientific Officer, Eric Horvitz.
Subscribe: iTunes / Google Play / Spotify / RSS
In our conversation with Eric, we explore his tenure as AAAI president, and his focus on the future of AI and its ethical implications, the scope of the study on the topic, and how drastically the AI and machine learning landscape has changed since 2009. We also discuss Eric’s role at Microsoft, and the Aether committee that has advised the company on issues of responsible AI since 2017.
Finally, we talk through his recent work as a member of the National Security Commission on AI, where he helped commission a 750+ page report on topics including the Future of AI R&D, Building Trustworthy AI systems, civil liberties and privacy, and the challenging area of AI and autonomous weapons.
Thanks to our Sponsor!
Thanks to our friends at Microsoft for their continued support of the podcast and their sponsorship of this series! Microsoft’s mission is to empower every single person on the planet to achieve more. We’re excited to partner with them on this series of shows, in which we share experiences at the intersection of AI and innovation to inspire customers to reimagine their businesses and the world. Learn more at Microsoft.com/ai and Microsoft.com/innovation.
Connect with Eric!
- Article: He got Facebook hooked on AI. Now he can’t fix its misinformation addiction
- Book: The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology – Ray Kurzweil
- Book: SuperIntelligence – Nick Bostrom
- Anticipating Superintelligence with Nick Bostrom – Talk #181
- AAAI Keynote 2009 – Artificial Intelligence in the Open World
- One Hundred Year Study on Artificial Intelligence (AI100)
- Microsoft Responsible AI – Aether Committee
- Live from TWIMLcon! Overcoming the Barriers to Deep Learning in Production with Andrew Ng – #304
- Can Language Models Be Too Big? w/ Emily Bender and Margaret Mitchell
- 2021 Final Report | NSCAI
- Blog: Project Origin
- Check out our TWIML Presents: series page!
- Register for the TWIML Newsletter
- Check out the official TWIMLcon:AI Platform video packages here!
- Download our latest eBook, The Definitive Guide to AI Platforms!
“More On That Later” by Lee Rosevere licensed under CC By 4.0